Applications have now closed for this round of funding.
Workplace Readiness Mentorship Program
Easter Seals is pleased to partner with Sun Life to offer a scholarship and mentorship opportunity, to be awarded to a student in Prince Edward Island who is or will be enrolled in the Winter 2023 semester.
Purpose and Objective
The $1,500 scholarship is intended for any person who identifies as living with a disability who is currently enrolled or will be enrolled in post-secondary education in the Winter 2023 semester. The objective of the scholarship is to help reduce financial barriers for the student as they progress and work towards completing their post-secondary education and to assist them in preparing for a successful transition into the workforce. The scholarship can be applied towards any costs the student deems is necessary in order to aid them in progressing or completing their post-secondary studies. This includes tuition, equipment, technologies and other supports/costs they need to attend school and complete their courses/certificate/diploma/
The scholarship recipient must also agree to participate in a twelve-month mentorship program from January – December 2023. The successful applicant will be matched with a volunteer mentor who will provide encouragement, guidance, and support for their studies, and in preparing for part-time jobs/internships and/or transition to the labour force after graduation. Easter Seals Canada will strive to pair students up with volunteer mentors who are most closely aligned with their field of study and/or preferred career aspirations.
The scholarship recipient must currently be a resident of Prince Edward Island.
Scholarship applications will be reviewed by a committee consisting of a combination of Easter Seals staff and volunteers who will choose the successful candidates. Decisions are final.
Candidates will be given consideration based on the following criteria:
- A resident of PEI.
- Identifies as having a disability.
- Currently attending or will be attending post-secondary education (college, university, vocational/trades program) in the Winter 2023 semester.
Supporting documentation for application:
The following documentation must be submitted in order for an application to be considered complete and eligible for review:
- A typed, one-page (maximum) document from the candidate outlining why they should be selected for the award. The document may include information on scholastic achievement, motivation, initiative, extra-curricular activities, challenges faced and overcome, financial need, and/or any other relevant information.
The successful recipients will be expected to:
- Participate in a 12-month mentorship program (January – December 2023). The recipient will meet with the volunteer mentor designated to them at least one hour per month during this period or more if mutually agreed upon between the recipient and mentor.
- Complete a brief survey toward the end of the 12-month mentorship to help assess the value and impact of the mentorship program.
The online application form is available at https://form.jotform.com/223115308814247
Deadline for Application
The application form and all supporting documentation must be submitted by no later than Friday, December 2nd, 2022, at 5:00 pm (AST). Late applications will not be accepted. The successful applicant will be notified by December 15th.
For more information or to submit questions about the scholarship, please contact Easter Seals PEI Executive Director Kelly Mullaly at email@example.com.